I got into discussion with Michael Leahy with regards to the benchmark program posted at the end of the previous post. Michael claimed that the Java implementation of the benchmark algorithm in my test program is suboptimal and he contributed an optimized version that he claims could deliver 70% better performance.
Therefore I decided to re-evaluate the benchmark results - but with a twist. Not only I added Michael's optimized Java implementation but I optimized the RenderScript implementation too. The results are the following.
- Michael's implementation did improve the execution time of the Java implementation by about 2.6 times.
- RenderScript implementation is still about 2.3 times faster than Michael's optimized Java implementation.
The new version is attached to the end of this post. You need to be logged to Sfonge site to access it. I will continue with explaining this example program in the next post.