Saturday, January 21, 2012

Measuring movement with accelerometer and gyroscope

Santa Claus brought me a present and that sadly means retiring of my trusty Nexus One. Not that the phone has any problem - it still functions perfectly. As Google does not update the Nexus One anymore with new software release, I had to change. And the winner is - well, not the Galaxy Nexus, that's too expensive. I chose a Nexus S because of its attractive price, its update path toward Android 4.x (it is actually the cheapest option today of an Android 4 phone) and its built-in gyroscope.

I wanted to put my hand on a gyroscope-equipped phone for a long time. I discussed in length the problems of using only the accelerometer when identifying movements in my Droidcon 2011 presentation and I hinted that additional sensors could be used to compensate for the motion acceleration that is added to the gravity acceleration and is impossible to separate in the general case. That's what I am aiming to do with the gyroscope in this series of posts.

Click here to read the post further.

No comments: